Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wait for the Teacher to Call on You!

Punky and Buggy are 9 and 7, respectively. I have combined them in Bigger Hearts for His Glory this year. They are really enjoying working and learning together in History, Science, Poetry, Bible, Art, Geography, etc. And, I LOVE that I only have to cover all of those subjects once with the two of them together! I am, however, beginning to notice one problem. 

Being older, Punky is usually quicker to come up with the answers to my discussion questions. After homeschooling last year in his own individual curriculum, he is totally out of the habit of allowing others the chance to answer questions. I've been realizing lately that Buggy rarely answers my questions, and just sits back and waits for Punky to answer. So, today I began to specifically ask each child, by name, the question that I wanted him to answer. Unfortunately, even that sometimes doesn't work. Punky is just bursting to share what he knows, and he forgets that the question was directed at his brother.

I'm seriously considering having them raise their hands to be called on. I really don't want to have to resort to that, because, well....this is our home, and I'm their mom, and they should be able to just show respect without having to initiate traditional classroom rules. I might first try a "speaking stick." You may only answer when you have the stick. I'm hoping that the tactile element of this may also serve as a reminder to Punky.  I'm open to any thoughts or ideas anyone is willing to offer!!

As for the Littles, they are losing interest in the "new" Playdough. I'm starting to think that I may begin Little Hands to Heaven with them next week. My plan is to work with them at half speed for this year and next. Sugar Biscuit will be 3 in October, so she is still fairly young. I want to keep them together as they are only 15 months apart, and I know it will be more fun for them, and easier for me. LHTH is a 5-day-a-week plan, so we will work 2 or 3 days a week, and take longer with it. Then, by the time we're finished the Littles should be ready for Little Hearts for His Glory.

Of course, all of my plans at this moment are tentative based on what happens with my grandma. She is still in the ICU in critical condition. Not much has changed with her status, which is both good news and bad news at the same time. We continue to spend as much time as possible at her bedside, and to pray. I don't know how this will turn out, but I know that God will provide us with the strength that we need to endure what comes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment