Sunday, August 28, 2011

I Should Have Been a Boy Scout. Or, not.

You know, because of that whole "Always Be Prepared!" thing. Because, I am. Prepared. 

Tomorrow (well, okay, today seeing as how I am up after midnight - again.) is the first day of our new home school  year. We I am excited! I can't speak for the boys, I think they're excited, or at least a tiny bit anticipatory (see, I use big words; I'm totally qualified for this home schooling thing!) but, of course they won't admit it. 

I have been working for weeks now to get things ready. This year is going to be different. Oh yes, it will. We started home schooling last November, and I was kind of thrown into the whole gig rather suddenly when we decided to take our kids out of their private school. The choice had come down to one of two options: a) continue to pay for a private education, or b) be able to afford to feed the four children. I think we made the right choice. Anyhow, last year I just used the curriculum from the private school, as we had already purchased most of it anyhow. I didn't feel as if I was truly teaching so much as I was just passing out 'homework.' As I grew to better know the boys' learning styles I realized that the curriculum we were using just wasn't a good fit. So, I went on the hunt for a true home schooling curriculum, and thanks to the advice of an amazing friend, I think we are in for a great year of learning, joy, and shared family moments. 

Last year we "did school" around the dining room table. That alone added to our my stress. The mess of school stuff all over when we were sitting down to eat and the lack of organization nearly drove me crazy. My motto for year last year was "Survive With a Smile." This year, I have set up a complete classroom at one end of the playroom in our basement. We have book shelves, an organized cupboard, daily lesson plans, a supply list for the entire year, and tons of extra activities ready for down time when kids are waiting for me to finish up with another child. This year, I'm planning to do more than just survive. I'm planning for everyone to thrive! (I know, it rhymes. I can own my dorkiness.)

Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment