Tuesday, October 11, 2011

God. NOT An Australian Marcupial.

Last week I started Little Hands to Heaven with Louie and Sugar Biscuit. So far I've gotten mixed reviews. I'm loving this program! It's so simple, and yet thorough. If the Littles are feeling cooperative we can finish the lessons for the day in about 30 to 45 minutes. After just the first day, both the kids were easily able to tell me the sound the letter 'A' makes, they recognize the letter 'A', and they know that God made everything in the world ("even Barney!!") Sugar Biscuit LOVES school. She runs to the school room when I tell her it's time, and she begs for more to do when we are done. Louie takes a bit more convincing. He likes to pout and pretend that he's not at all interested. However, when we are working on art projects, or listening to a story, I have caught him smiling, and I know that he's learning and enjoying it.
Their first art project involved black paint. It was a great concept, but unfortunately my little ones sort of missed the point. They soaked their paper with so much water and paint that the white crayon underneath never really appeared as it was supposed to. 


 So, mommy did a quick drawing of her own, and covered it lightly with black paint so the Littles could see the picture appear from under the blackness. Isn't it a stunning masterpiece?!
 When we finished, I walked outside to set our pictures out to dry and when I came back, this is what I found:
Could a happier moment ever be imagined? Seriously, I love this child!

Today the lesson plans instructed me to hand these smallish children each their own bottle of glue and have them attach dry beans to a piece of paper with capital 'A' written on it. I admit, this terrified me just a little. But, the Littles did amazingly well! I was so proud when they each carefully went about placing small dots of glue on their A's and attaching their beans. They did so great, and were both so proud, which of course made their momma proud!




Today we read the story of how God made Adam and Eve. I read from the book that in the picture, Adam and Eve were "looking up to God." When I held up the book so the Littles could see the picture, Sugar Biscuit lurched forward on her knees, pointed with her finger, and squealed, "GOD!" I had to admit I could understand why she was confused.
 The book did say Adam and Eve were looking up to God, and they certainly look concerned about that Koala in the tree. My older boys were working across the room from us, and couldn't see the picture but when they heard me inform Sugar Biscuit, "No, that's not God, that's a Koala Bear...." they nearly fell off their chairs in fits of laughter. I think the moment instantly became one of those "remember whens." I love having all these kiddos home together, learning and sharing fun times. The family bonds that develop during home schooling are like none other, and I wouldn't trade it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment